SGV-CAMFT CHAPTER LUNCHEON EVENT
“Power Down & Parent Up: Screen Dependence and Raising Tech-Healthy Children”
Holli Kenley LMFT
Author, Speaker & Workshop Presenter
11:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Friday November 10, 2017
Luncheon Buffet Included in Your Registration
Monrovian Restaurant Banquet Room
A delicious luncheon buffet will be served. Fees range from $25 to $45.
The Monrovian Restaurant and Banquet Room is located in the heart of Monrovia at 534 S Myrtle Ave, Monrovia, CA 91016.
Researchers are increasingly looking into the effect on our children of time spent in front of electronic screens. This workshop presents a thorough overview of that research, helping you understand the consequences of living a screen-saturated life, whether interactive and passive, on developing children as well as on adults. The workshop will help you identify the symptoms of “Electronic Screen Syndrome” in your clients, and teach effective interventions to address the effects of too much screen time.
Course Learning Objectives
- 1. Participants will be able to describe and discuss background knowledge on screen dependence including the following: clinical relevance and therapeutic importance; new clinical vocabulary as well as a review of terminology in association with presenting pathology and symptomology; and considerations/limitations to research.
- 2. Participants will be able to describe and discuss some of the most common neurological, physiological, emotional, psychological, relational or social, and behavioral manifestations as the result of interactive and passive screen-time.
- 3. Participants will be able to compare and contrast the symptoms/manifestations of Electronic Screen Syndrome (Dunkley, 2015) with presenting symptomatology of other clinical disorders (with an emphasis on Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder) and evaluate their respective therapeutic implications and considerations.
- 4. Participants will be able to describe several research-based interventions for addressing health consequences and concerns of screen dependence for children and families.
- Who Should Attend?
- This workshop is intended for students, interns and practicing therapists interested in improving their skills and knowledge of the effect of modern electronics on their clients. Both members and non-members are encouraged to attend.
- Therapists Earn 1.5 CEU's!
- This workshop meets the qualifications for 1.5 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
Click here for Registration Information:
About the Speaker
Holli Kenley, MA, LMFT, is a practicing LMFT as well as a teacher. She holds a Master’s Degree in Psychology with an emphasis in Marriage, Family, and Child Counseling. Holli has worked in a variety of settings: a women’s shelter, a counseling center, and in private practice, with adolescents, teens, and adults. Her specialties include sexual trauma, abuse, addiction, codependency, domestic violence, betrayal and cyber bullying. She is the author of five recovery books including Breaking Through Betrayal: And Recovering the Peace Within (2010); cyber bullying no more: Parenting a High Tech Generation (2011); and her powerful memoir Mountain Air: Relapsing and Finding The Way Back…One Breath at a Time (2013). Holli’s first novel, Another Way (2015), offers tweens to teens (and their parents/guardians) an empowering message of discovering, defining, and determining self-worth. Holli is also a contributing author and Wellness Editor for Clear Life Magazine.
Holli has been a five-time peer presenter at CAMFT’s annual state conferences and a featured or keynote speaker at college level clinical programs, state and national advocacy organizations, and educational institutions. She has been a guest on over 100 podcasts as well as on Arizona’s TV show Morning Scramble speaking on issues of wellness.
Prior to and during her career as a therapist, Holli taught for thirty years in public education. Holli supports and participates in community activism with numerous organizations: Stand for the Silent; RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network); The Not-Invisible and The Hunting Ground campaigns (It’s On Us Movement); and FOSI (Family Online Safety Institute), an international organization working to make the online world safer for kids and their families.
You can learn more about Holli Kenley at www.hollikenley.com.
VISIT WWW.SGVCAMFT.ORG FOR MORE INFORMATION AND REGISTRATION:
Access for Disabled Persons
The Banquet Room at the Monrovian Restaurant is ADA compliant. Although it is upstairs, there is elevator access. Persons needing special accommodations are asked to contact Rudy Hayek for information.
SGV-CAMFT EVENT CANCELLATION POLICY
Registration is not complete until full payment has been received. Full payment of the registration guarantees you a seat/place at the event. Partial or incomplete payment does not guarantee you a seat/place unless it is paid for in full within 24 hours in advance of the scheduled event.
- Forty-eight hours prior to the event: 100% refund
- Twenty-four hours prior to the event: 50% refund
- Day of event or no-show: 0% refund
*if you have a medical, personal, family emergency, or other extenuating circumstances that prevent you from attending, and you have already registered (partially or fully), you may either request a refund, or apply your payment/deposit toward the next event.
You may initiate your cancellation request, or to make a refund or credit request, by sending an email to the San Gabriel Valley CAMFT Secretary: email@example.com
You must send in your request no later than five days within the end of the event.
You will receive your credit or refund within fourteen business days following the approval of your request.
Note that circumstances beyond the control of the event organizers may necessitate substitutions, alterations, or cancellations of the speakers and/or topics. Therefore, SGV-CAMFT reserves the right to alter or modify the advertised speaker and/or topics if necessary. Any changes will be updated on the SGV-CAMFT website, and every effort will be made to notify you via email of any changes so that you may have the option to cancel or transfer your registration fee.